Overland Park Presented with MOVITE AwardPosted on Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 by Affinis Corp
In Accolades, tagged in
In October, MOVITE presented the City of Overland Park, Kansas and Affinis with the MOVITE Excellence in Transportation Award for the 159th Street Improvements, Metcalf Avenue to Nall Avenue. The award recognizes organizations who accomplish one or more of the following:
- Development of an innovative concept in transportation planning, design or operations;
- Innovative application of a proven concept in transportation planning, design or operations;
- Implementation of a “difficult” transportation program through perseverance in its development and promotion;
- A program or project having a significant effect on regional transportation;
- A multifaceted transportation program or project, combining many innovative and/or well-applied concepts;
- A program or project promoting a major advance in the efficiency and/or economy of transportation.
The 159th Street Improvements included an innovative application of a proven concept and promoted a major advance in the efficiency and/or economy of transportation. Using roundabouts at the east and west entrances of the Blue Valley High School (BVHS) campus has improved traffic flow and reduced delay. In fact, during the school’s peak hours, students have decreased their time entering and exiting the school by more than 10 minutes.
In addition to improving traffic for BVHS and nearby residents, these changes also support the city’s plans for
projected growth. By conducting a preliminary engineering study, we were able to right-size the road for current and future volumes. As the surrounding area continues to develop and move forward, this section of roadway will be able to keep up with the changing landscape for years to come. See a video of the improvements here.