Capital Improvement Program
Affinis has designed more than seven miles of street upgrades as part of the City of Merriam’s Capital Improvements Program (CIP). With a working relationship spanning more than a decade, we bring realistic solutions that help the community and fit the city’s budget.
The city’s goal is to invest in public infrastructure and provide facilities that move their community forward. We’ve worked together to achieve this in a number of ways, but a few include:
- Converting existing, open-ditch streets to curb and gutter sections.
- Reconstructing pavement.
- Building a new underground storm drainage system.
- Adding new sidewalks to create pedestrian connections to adjacent streets.
- Reconstructing driveways.
- Providing street lights to increase safety.
- Creating traffic and erosion control plans for construction.
- Providing pavement maintenance and reconstruction solutions.
- Replacing deteriorating sidewalk and ramps to create ADA-compliant pedestrian access.
- Installing decorative street lights for place-making aesthetics.
- Developing plans to manage through and local traffic during construction.
- Upgrading existing pedestrian signals to newer technology and PROWAG standards.
An active, public participation program is an integral part of the CIP. We conduct a pre-design meeting with residents to introduce them to the project and explain the general objectives. A second meeting takes place after preliminary plans are complete and before easement acquisition begins. The final meeting is held prior to construction to introduce residents to the contractor and further explain the construction process and schedule.
- We have performed inspections to determine if pavement could be reused. In many cases, we were able to perform a mill and overlay, leaving the existing pavement in place.
- Addressing storm drainage issues early on helps protect the long-term, life cycle of the pavement, reducing city maintenance.
Learn more about a recent project we completed with Merriam here.